2015 Minority Trainee Development Scholarship (MTDS)
Deadline: Application deadline for MTDS award is Monday, March 2, 2015
PURPOSE: The goal of the Minority Trainee Development Scholarship (MTDS) program of the American Thoracic Society is to increase representation of underrepresented minorities as defined by the NIH (e.g., African American, Hispanic, Native American, Alaskan Native and Pacific Islander) in pulmonary, critical care, and sleep medicine research by providing an opportunity for these trainees in U.S. based programs to attend the ATS International Conference (IC).
- Applicant must be a member of an underrepresented minority, as defined by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) for the purposes of biomedical research support funding. This criterion includes individuals who self-identify as African American, Hispanic, Native American, Alaskan Native or Pacific Islander.
- Applicant must be an author on an abstract accepted for presentation at the ATS 2015 International Conference. The MTDS applicants may be an author of a late-breaking abstract. Late breaking abstract notification will be announced in early March so award applicants must apply with the understanding they will not be considered for the award if their abstract is denied.
- Case Reports will not be accepted.
- Applicant must not be the recipient of another travel award at the ATS 2015 International Conference.
- Applicant must be a current trainee, at any stage of training from high school through post-doctoral fellow, at an institution in the United States.
- Only one trainee should be nominated per mentor.
- Applicant must submit a Completed Online Application Packet by Monday, March 2, 2015.
- Applicant must submit the following to be considered for the award:
- Completed application form.
- Letter of support from his or her mentor indicating:
- The contribution of the applicant to the research project (Basic science, clinical research and translational research)
- The impact of the award on the applicant
- The leadership potential of the applicant
- A copy of the abstract accepted for presentation at the ATS 2015 International Conference.
- The applications are scored on the following:
- Quality of the science
- Strength of the letter - applicants and mentors should be aware that this carries significant weight with the committee and in some instances can be the sole difference in whether an applicant receives an award in instances where applicants are otherwise evenly matched.
- Leadership Potential of the applicant
- Role in project
If selected for this award, applicants will be notified of what additional documents need to be submitted to complete the award process. Applicant must be able to attend the ATS 2015 International Conference at least from Sunday, May 18, 2014 – Tuesday, May 20, 2014 and attend the Diversity Forum on Sunday, May 18, 2014 to receive the award.