Breathing in America: Diseases, Progress, and Hope
In 2010, the ATS published Breathing in America: Diseases, Progress, and Hope, a book that explores the nature and causes of pulmonary, critical care and sleep disorders, their prevalence and burden, the benefits research has brought and the research challenges that remain. The book, which was supported by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, is written for educated laypersons and tells where we are on our path to curing or controlling 23 different respiratory conditions. It is a compilation of basic facts, including epidemiologic data, about lung disease in America and it describes the role that research must play in advancing its prevention, treatment and management.
Order the Book:
This online version is available for free. Print copies can be ordered online or by phone. The cost to members of the ATS is $14.95, plus shipping and handling. The cost to non-members is $22.50, plus shipping and handling. There is a significant discount for orders of 25 copies or more.
Proceeds benefit the ATS Foundation Research Program, which funds research into pulmonary, critical care and sleep medicine.
If you are an ATS member and would like to order the book, please click here.
If you are not a member of ATS, please click here.
Download Entire Book:
Download Book By Chapter:
- Chapter 1 To Breathe . . .
- Chapter 2 Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome
- Chapter 3 Asthma
- Chapter 4 Bronchiectasis
- Chapter 5 Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Chapter 6 Collagen Vascular Lung Disease
- Chapter 7 Cystic Fibrosis
- Chapter 8 Environmentally Induced Lung Disease
- Chapter 9 Fungal Lung Disease
- Chapter 10 Interstitial Lung Disease
- Chapter 11 Lung Cancer
- Chapter 12 Nontuberculous Mycobacterial Disease
- Chapter 13 Occupational Lung Diseases
- Chapter 14 Pleural Disease
- Chapter 15 Pneumonia
- Chapter 16 Pulmonary Embolism
- Chapter 17 Pulmonary Hypertension
- Chapter 18 Rare Lung Diseases
- Chapter 19 Respiratory Distress Syndrome
- Chapter 20 Respiratory Failure
- Chapter 21 Sarcoidosis
- Chapter 22 Sepsis
- Chapter 23 Sleep-Disordered Breathing
- Chapter 24 Tuberculosis
- Chapter 25 The Challenge
Download Anatomical Drawing of The Lung:
Material on these pages is copyright © The American Thoracic Society. One copy of this text may be downloaded and printed free of charge for personal use or for non-commercial reproduction without an application for copyright permission, if such use complies with the following copyright conditions:
- The text must not be altered in any way.
- The copy must not be sold or used for profit.
- A copy of the entire book or any portion of its contents must include a reproduction of the cover and © The American Thoracic Society.