International Trainee Scholarships 2013 (ITS)
American Thoracic Society
2013 International Trainee Scholarships (ITS)
(Formerly the International Trainee Travel Award - ITTA)
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
Deadline: Friday, March 15, 2013 (Extended)
The International Lung Health and Membership Committees of the American Thoracic Society (ATS) are pleased to announce the availability of the ATS International Trainee Scholarships (ITS), to provide scholarship support for international trainees to attend the ATS International Conference in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, May 2013. Each ITS includes a certificate of achievement, a cash scholarship determined by the awardee's country of origin and level of training, and a one year ATS In-Training Membership commencing on 1 July 2013. Each scholarship is intended to support expenses related to attending the ATS International Conference including registration, accommodations and related daily costs such as meals.
An eligible applicant for the ITS will be an author/co-author on an abstract(s) accepted for presentation at the ATS 2013 International Conference, and who meets the requirements listed below. The scholarships will be based upon merit including the quality of science, the contribution of the trainee to the work, and likelihood of future contributions to the field. These scholarships are made possible through support from the American Thoracic Society.
The purpose of these scholarships is to interest international trainees in active membership in the American Thoracic Society. At the 2013 International Conference, trainees will be exposed to the state of the art in basic and clinical research and practice of pulmonary, critical care and sleep medicine. In addition to these educational opportunities, trainees will be able to participate in the ATS Assemblies and network with global leaders in all respiratory related scientific and medical fields.
DEADLINE: March 15, 2013 (Extended)
Application requirements for the ITS are:
- Eligible Applicant will be a Trainee who is not at a U.S. or Canadian program at the time of application and not a U.S. or Canadian citizen.
- Eligible applicants are trainees who are residents, fellows (holders of MD or PhD degrees) or equivalent, and with a preference given to those who have never attended the International Conference and had not previously received an International Trainee Scholarship (previously ITTA) or other ATS scholarship support.
- Eligible Applicant must be an author on an abstract accepted for presentation at the International Conference. The work in the abstract should not have been performed in a US or Canadian training program.
- Eligible Applicant must submit the following by March 15, 2013 (Extended) using the attached application form. A completed application will include:
- Completed application form. The application must be typed and signed by the applicant and applicant's Training Director. Signatures that are typed are not acceptable.
- CV (limited to 1 page based on career aspects of work in accepted IC abstract)
Awardees must be able to attend the International Scholars Poster Colloquium and Discussion on May 18, 11:00 am - 4:00 pm and their respective ATS assembly business meeting.
Completed application/supporting documentation should be submitted by Email by March 15, 2013 (Extended) to:
Gustavo Matute-Bello, M.D., Chair
International Health Committee
The goals of the International Trainee Scholarships (ITS) of the American Thoracic Society (ATS) are: to provide trainees from outside the US and Canada with an opportunity to present their research at the ATS International Conference (IC); to create opportunities for interactions between international trainees and other scientists in their area of research; and to encourage the trainees to become full members of ATS, with active participation in their assemblies.
- The applicant must be an author on an abstract accepted for presentation at the 2013 ATS International Conference. The work in the abstract should not have been performed at a US or Canadian institution.
- At the time of the application, the applicant must be a trainee who is a resident, fellow (holders of MD or PhD degrees) or equivalent, at a program located outside of the United States and Canada.
- The applicant must NOT be a citizen of the United States or Canada.
- The applicant must not be the recipient of another travel award at the 2013 ATS International Conference.
- Applicant must submit a complete Application Packet by March 15, 2013 (Extended).
- Applicant may submit a complete Application Packet by email:
Each applicant will be notified when his/her application has been received and is complete. Please note instructions below, you will receive an email only when your application is complete including it is a single PDF in the correct order.
An applicant must include the following (in this order only) in the complete Application Packet:
- Completed application form. Must be typed and signed by the applicant and applicant's Training Director or it is not complete. Signatures that are typed are not acceptable.
- CV (limited to 1 page) based on career aspects of work in accepted IC abstract)
Applications are complete and will be accepted ONLY if:
- Application form is typed, not handwritten.
- Application packets are emailed. Only one abstract is included per application. Please send ONLY 1 email per application.
- Packets must be submitted as a single PDF in the following order: completed application form, followed by CV.
- Emailed application packets must be sent in PDF formatted as a single PDF document, no other formats (*doc, *gif, *jpeg, etc.) will be accepted. An application is not complete if multiple PDFs are included (i.e. each page of the application is a separate PDF)
- Application form must be signed by the applicant and the applicant's Training Director
- Application must be submitted by March 15, 2013 (Extended), 5 pm Eastern Standard Time, United States. No late applications will be accepted. The email address will close at this time.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.