As a member of ATS, one of the responsibilities and privileges you have is selecting the next leaders of the American Thoracic Society. Currently, ATS is seeking nominations for candidates to be elected to the ATS Executive Committee as Secretary-Treasurer for 2017-2018. The successful candidate will advance through the leadership offices and serve as ATS President in 2020-2021.
The position of Secretary-Treasurer is critical for the ATS, as this individual spends three years learning about the Society’s structure and leadership. They will then serve as President in the fourth year, and finally as immediate-past president in the final year as an ATS officer. It is important that we identify nominees who are outstanding members of the pulmonary, critical care and sleep communities to ensure that the ATS will remain a strong, vibrant leader in lung health.
We ask that you carefully consider the qualifications below and submit nominations for colleagues who demonstrate the qualities outlined and who you believe would provide strong leadership in moving ATS towards achieving its mission. Self nominations are accepted.
- Active ATS member; in good standing.
- Active commitment to and understanding of ATS and its mission, vision and values.
- Demonstration of the essential leadership characteristics (see below).
- Ability to commit five years of service in various leadership capacities.
- Willingness to adhere to the CMSS Code for Interactions with Companies as it relates to Key Leaders.
Essential Leadership Characteristics:
The nominees for the position of ATS Secretary-Treasurer should possess the following characteristics:
- Outstanding political acumen/administrative skills;
- Scientific credibility/appreciation;
- Excellent organizational ability;
- Inclusive style of leadership;
- Commitment to work with international societies;
- Highly regarded in the field;
- Passion for/commitment to ATS;
- Willingness to devote time to the ATS;
- Knowledge and sense of ATS organization.
- Familiarity with key aspects of the organization, including research, education, and advocacy
- The Secretary-Treasurer is a full member of the ATS Executive Committee and shares responsibility for leadership of the ATS and decision-making about ATS activities and positions with other Executive Committee members under the leadership of the President and with the direction and oversight of the ATS Board of Directors. In addition, the Secretary-Treasurer is responsible for reviewing the monthly Statement of Operations of the ATS and report on these Statements to the Board of Directors at each Board meeting.
- Per the ATS bylaws, the Secretary -Treasurer shall serve as a member of the Membership, Program and Budget, and Finance Committees.
- The Secretary-Treasurer position generally involves approximately 0.10 FTE of time working on behalf of the American Thoracic Society if included into the usual FTE equation.
Are you interested in being a nominee? Learn more about the ATS Nomination process and submitting your nomination.
If you have any questions regarding the nomination process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 212-315-6444.