Last Updated: April 29, 2014
Information We Collect
Site Use Information
Information You Provide to Us
Social Networking Activities
Opting Out of Communications
Disclosing Information to Third Parties
Links to Other Websites
Access from Outside the United States
The following describes the types of personal and other information we may collect about you, and how we use and maintain that information:
Our web servers may collect the IP address of visitors to our Websites. This information may be aggregated to measure the number of visits, average time spent on a Website, pages viewed, etc. We may use this information to measure the use of our Websites and to improve the content we offer. We may share with third parties this experiential information or other data on an aggregated basis without the use of any information that personally identifies you.
The cookies we use on our Websites may include:
- Session cookies: These temporary cookies expire and are automatically erased whenever you close your browser window. We use session cookies to grant our users access to content and to enable actions such as remembering items in your shopping cart when you shop on our Websites.
- Persistent cookies: These usually have an expiration date in the distant future and remain in your browser until they expire or you manually delete them. We use persistent cookies to better understand usage patterns so we can improve the Websites for our users. For example, we may use a persistent cookie to associate you with your user account or to remember your choices on the Websites.
- Third party cookies: We permit limited third parties to place cookies through our Websites to provide us with better insights into the use of the Websites or user demographics or to provide relevant promotions to you. These third parties may collect information about a user’s online activities over time and across different websites when he or she uses our Websites. For example, we may use a third party tool to analyze usage patterns of the Websites. Such a tool may generate a cookie to capture information about your use of the Websites which the third party provider uses to compile reports on website activity for us and to provide other related services. The third party provider may use a portion of your IP address to identify its cookie, but this will not be associated with any other data held by the third party provider.
- We may also permit third party service providers to place cookies through our Websites, as indicated above, to perform analytic or marketing functions where you are notified of them and you have consented to the usage. We do not control the use of such third party cookies or the resulting information and we are not responsible for any actions or policies of such third parties.]
We do not use technology that recognizes a “do-not-track” signal from your web browser.
Before you can utilize some portions of our Websites, we may require that you register and provide us with your contact information and generate a password. This registration information may be used, for example, for identification purposes, to communicate with you regarding your account with us or to facilitate the functioning of our Websites. If you provide us with a telephone number, you expressly agree that we, or our authorized agents, can use that number to contact your about your account, or about ATS and its associated activities. If you provide us with your email address, you agree that we, or our authorized agents, can send you emails about your account, or about ATS and its associated activities.
We may keep any information that you provide to us indefinitely.
Our Websites include the ability for you and other users to link to social networking websites. As a result, we receive information about you when you choose to post or otherwise share information about our Websites on these social networking websites. We may use such information about you in a variety of ways, including to administer a Website and enhance your experience with a Website, and to communicate with you about a Website and new offerings or activities associated with the Website. We may keep all of this information indefinitely.
When you engage in any financial transaction through our Websites, you will be asked to provide certain of your financial information, such as your credit card and billing address. Unless you register with the Website, we will only keep this information as long as necessary to complete the transaction or series of recurring transactions authorized by you.
If you no longer want to receive emails from ATS on a going-forward basis, you may opt out of receiving emails by clicking the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of those email you receive. If you are having difficulty unsubscribing using the above methods, please contact us directly at the email or phone number listed below under Contact.
Please allow ample time for us to process your request. However, please note that even if you opt out from receiving emails, we will send you service-related communications and may need to keep information we have collected about you for record-keeping, research and other purposes.
We will not share, rent, sell or otherwise disclose any of the personally identifiable information that we collect about you through our Websites, except in any of the following situations:
- You request or authorize the release of your personal information.
- We may use the information we collect from you to fulfill your requests, manage the Websites, communicate with you about membership, registrations, products, services, events and education, and conduct research and analysis.
- We may disclose information that we collect about you to our third-party contractors and payment processors who perform services for us in connection with the Websites, or to complete or confirm a transaction or series of transactions that you conduct with us. We may also disclose information to service providers or suppliers if the disclosure will enable that party to perform business, professional or technical support for us.
- We may provide your information to our partners and sponsors, so as to provide access to benefits and communicate important information about them. We may also provide such information to other select third parties approved by ATS as offering products or services relevant and useful to you. For example, we may give exhibitors the names and mailing addresses of pre-registrants to our International Conference, and we may sell the names and mailing addresses of subscribers to our journals (the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine (AJRCCM), the American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology (AJRCMB) and the Proceedings of the American Thoracic Society (PATS)). The use by and/or content of communications from any third party will be pre-approved by ATS.
- We may share aggregated or anonymous information that cannot identify you with third parties. For example, we may disclose the number of visitors to our Websites or the number of people who have downloaded a particular document.
To help protect the privacy of data you transmit through our Websites, where personally identifiable information is requested, we use technology designed to encrypt the information that you input before it is sent to us. In addition, we take steps to protect the user data we collect against unauthorized access. However, you should keep in mind that the Websites are run on software, hardware and networks, any component of which may, from time to time, require maintenance or experience problems or breaches of security beyond our control.
While we take steps to protect your personal information and keep it secure, you also play a role in protecting your information. You can help to maintain the security of your online transactions by not sharing your account information and password with anyone. ATS cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us or from our Websites, and therefore you use our Websites at your own risk.
If you are under the age of 18, please do not use or access the Website in any way. We will not knowingly collect or use any personal information from any child under the age of 18. It is not our intention to collect personal information from anyone under 18 years of age. [If we become aware that we have collected any personal information from children under the age of 18, we will promptly delete such information from our databases.
If you access the Website from outside of the United States, information that we collect about you will be transferred to servers inside the United States and maintained indefinitely, which may involve the transfer of information out of countries located in the European Economic Area. By allowing us to collect information about you, you consent to such transfer and processing of your data.
American Thoracic Society
25 Broadway, 18th Floor
New York, NY 10004